Creative Christmas Ornament Tutorial from a Soda Bottle



 I love decorating for the holidays with decorations that have been handmade by my artisan friends, myself, but most of all- made by and/or with my boys. Each item has its own special story and the memories I will treasure for years to come. Our tree is full of salt dough shapes, super hero gingerbread men, hundreds of rainbow lights, and lots of sparkling glitter. (Glitter isn't generally my thing- so its a big deal.) My favorite thing about the recycled soda bottle ornament is the way the lights glisten off it. I hope that you'll enjoy crafting this with you own family.

Materials Needed:
Sprite (or any soda bottle)
Ornament
Mod Podge
Paint Brush
Tweezers
Scissors


1. Start off but cutting the plastic soda bottle into strips and then again into small squares.

2. Using the brush (or your fingers) cover the ball with a layer of mod podge.
3. Carefully roll the ornament into the plastic flakes.
4. Secure your ornament so that it doesn't roll away, I used the top of the bottle as a stand 
5. Cover bare spots on the ball using tweezers to pick up the small squares. By this point your glue may begin to dry, I dipped the squares into a small amount of glue before placement.

6. Let dry. Repeat steps 4 & 5 if needed. 

*Notes: I used old scratched up ornament balls I found at the local thrift store, I tried several different combinations of bottles and ball colors- my favorite was the green ball  covered with a Sprite bottle. The Mod Podge will dry clear- don't worry if you're ball looks gloppy in the process, it's supposed too! (1) 16 ounce bottle covers (1) 2 inch ornament. Be kind to the Earth and recycle any remains.


One ornament I can't wait to try this year is this  Borax Crystal Snowflakes Ornament
tutorial I found on Curbly. It's a science experiment & glitterfest all in one! Have you started your holiday crafting yet? What's on you list to make or do? I'd love to hear about your own crafty adventures, let me know in the comments below!
,  

Comments

Popular Posts