How I Did Nothing and Landed on Etsys Front Page

hankandhunt on etsy
I don't remember wishing on a shooting star or meeting at a cross roads. However the planets aligned and TrashN2Tees landed itself on the coveted Etsy Front Page not just once, but twice in the same day.



If you're unfamiliar with Etsy and its front page allow me to put it in a nutshell. Collections of items called treasuries are curated by members of Etsy (sellers or buyers) and then the powers that be at Etsy select the chosen treasuries to be featured on the front page for all the world to see. Treasuries change hourly. What it boils down to is this: FREE promotion to a captive audience.

Now the title of this post is misleading a little bit, maybe it should say something like "How I did nothing (new) and landed on Etsy's front page" because I've retraced my steps a few times now and I don't recall doing much different than any other day. I do work hard to stay active and engaging both within the Etsy community and outside of it. Joining teams, participating in the forums, commenting- promoting- creating treasuries (whether I curated them or included) and viva la chat- RIP. I know for a fact that this has at least had a hand in my front page treasury love because a fellow team member, FrickandFrackScraps, from The Treasury Tree created one of the collections. 

I also work very hard to create interesting photos. I'll even admit that I sometimes spend more time perfecting a shot or picture than it takes to make the darn thing. It pays off though, Candy from The Party Bakery  went out of her way to send me a convo after seeing my reusable produce bags on the front page to say that she thought the smiling fruit was the bomb diggity. (my words- not hers) Just another reason why I love the community at Etsy. I don't want to forget my friends and teammates from the Bluegrass Etsy Street Team who took the time to celebrate with me as well.  
 


Landing on the Front Page does not equate to a successful shop, heck it even doesn't always get you a single sale. I'm going to share a few ways that will help improve your shop & get noticed, so that you too can do nothing (new) and land on Etsy's front page.
Improve your photographs.

manjar
Write a catchy profile.
my profile (on the blog, website, and etsy) are all top viewed pages- this is a great way to pique interest in your products and allows the buyer to 'get to know you'

Use all 13 tags. Do it wisely. 
Tagging is how your buyers (and treasury curators) find you! Remember to tag for colors too as those are the most common tags curators use when looking for treasury listings.

Promote. 
LifeUnscripted
 Join a team, or two.
Joining teams has made a HUGE difference for me, I've discovered many awesome shops (and have been discovered) and have been able to collaborate, brainstorm, learn, and be inspired.Not all teams are created equally- be sure to read charters and requirements.

Learn more, and re-evaluate. 
Experiment with new ideas, get feedback, pick and tweak listings and photos.


I always welcome your comments, and would love to hear about your own Etsy experience. Have you been featured? Share it! Do you have tips and tricks- I'm all ears.

Comments

  1. i really want to be featured on the front page of Etsy, so i study all the photos on a regular basis...some i don't feel are very good and find that very interesting as i do think it's very important to take great shots...so there has to be way more to it then that!! i'm going to look over all the links you have here to see if i can figure it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhh...and congrats on landing on the front page twice!!! in one day!!!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn, I'm happy to have you come by (welcome!) Wishing you much success, with or without the front page!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello from a couple fellow Kentuckians! Congrats on getting featured, and thank you for sharing all the great tips!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i finally had my first front page treasury this week, it was soooo exciting!!! fun article, thanks for the tips. i'd love to make it to the front page again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article! I learned a lot! Thanks for using one of my posts too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. howdy neighbor alistdesigns! 4blankwall- awesome to hear you landed on the front page too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts