10 Ways to Remember Your Reusable Bags

Reusable Produce Bag
How many times have you stood at the checkout stand wishing you’d remembered to bring your own bags?   Recent studies show that 50% of Americans want to use their own bags, but only about 25% remember to do it. We are up against our own habits and, let’s face it: at the end of the day, there is often more on our minds than reusable bags.  But we shouldn’t be disappointed if we don’t change our habits overnight.  As Mark Twain said:  “Habit is habit and not to be flung out the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.”  

Here are 10 ways to help coax reusable bags into your shopping trips where you can use them.
1.  Put your bags in the front seat of your car before you start out for the store.  That way, you will see them and remember when you get there.  You are more likely to forget if you put them in the trunk.

2.  Hang them on the garage doorknob after emptying them so you remember to get them in your car.

TrashN2Tees Reusable Peace Sign Bags
3.  Take them right out and put them in your car when you empty them.  Less clutter in the house!

4.  Write “REUSABLE BAGS” at the top of your shopping list as a visual reminder

5.  Get one or two small pocket sized bags like TrashN2Tees Upcycled Tshirt bags to keep in your purse for emergencies and impulse buying. 

6.  Invest in bags that you actually like.  You are more likely to use them if you like them.  

7.  Put bags on your mental list of things you want to take when you go shopping.  For example, ask yourself, do I have my keys, my cell phone, my shopping list, and my bags?

Farmers Market Bag
8.  Get bags in different colors so you can make the shopping bag part of your look for the day.   Who says you can’t go green in style? (linked up to some of my favorites)

9.  Have a few extras in your car in case you leave them at home.

10.  Decide that if you forget to bring the bag into the store, you will go out and get them before check out, or put items back in the basket and bag them yourself at the car. It won’t take more than once or twice to train yourself to bring them in the first time!

Here are a few other options from TrashN2Tees for upcycled tshirt reusable bags


 

Comments

  1. I have a habit of making sure i stick one or two bags INSIDE my purse or backpack...every one of them, that was if I switch I always have one if a shop trip comes up at my lunch hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome tips! Thanks for sharing! Especially the "bags you actually like" part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful blog...I'm in!!
    I re-use cast off luxury knitted materials for my dog sweaters. My dog wears cashmere that I can't afford for myself haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh! So glad you guys are enjoying the blog. @Megan there are so many awesome handmade reusable bags on Etsy!

    Great tips AccidentallySunshine!

    WarmWeenies! (I never thought I would say that!?) I bet you have the best dressed pups- I can't afford cashmere either but I have some in the studio to cut up. Doesnt make sense does it!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to take keep my bags in a pouch so that they are easy to carry. Check out carryplus.com for reusable bags with pouches.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts