Now we're melting plastic bags.

boydhollow on etsy
I've been wanting to try this for a while.. but alas there are not enough hours in the day for all of my wishful crafting endeavors. Go now and turn simple plastic grocery bags into tote bags and wallets—by fusing them together with an iron. Melt on fellow DIY'er and Recyclers. I'll live vicariously through you on this one.
lousupcycles on etsy

How to:
Cut, flatten and layer six to eight bags on the ironing board, place parchment paper over them, and iron the whole stack to meld it into a useful, reusable thicker plastic for sewing together every which way. Theres no wrong way to craft, but I've included some awesome Etsy finds in this post.  Don't forget you can also crochet grocery bags, too.

Long Overdue Fusing Plastic Bag Tutorial from EtsyLabs

So what do you think? Are you going to arm yourself w/ iron and try it? 

Comments

  1. OMG AMAZING! Unfortunately I don't have a single plastic bag in my home or I would try this! I just say "no" to plastic (hard to get the clerks to break their "routine" of putting things in bags!) always, even if I forget to bring in my reusable bag ... that is my fault and I carry my things out to the car and I ALWAYS have a ton in the trunk of my car to use! :) My grocery store knows me as the "no bag" lady... hehe! I LOVE this idea though... will have to see if some friends have some bags I can use to try it! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I save plastic packaging from products I buy like bread, etc. (washed out well, of course) It can be used the same way and provides some interesting colors, patterns, lettering.

      Delete
  2. Another fun thing to do is see if you can get your hands on the clear bags like they use at the dry cleaners. Melt a couple layers together, sprinkle some glitter on the "fabric" and then iron a few more layers on top. If you have enough you can make rain coats, pouches (which i have made), and other fun things :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some plastic bags from the days when we still got them at stores. But I've found that many products we buy come in fusable plastic packaging that lends itself very well to making things. Just be sure to wash them out with soapy water first. The sky is the limit!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts