Upcycled Tshirt Scarf Tutorial

Description:
This tutorial was inspired by this original post by Erin at Cut out & Keep.
I’ve named my scarf the Bacon Wrap. Read on to see why! I must have been hungry while preparing this first ever tutorial for TrashN2Tees. Donut train and Bacon Wrap!?
This project takes 20 minutes, and all you need is an old tee and a pair of scissors! No sewing!! Its super easy, fun, and dare I say it… fool proof!? I want to encourage all of you to try it out, share it with your daughters, sisters, and friends and feel free to upload your completed scarves on TNT: TrashN2Tees Facebook Page!
For my beloved Bacon Wrap, I used a mens shirt size Large, and made approx. 1.5 inch cuts. *Again theres no right or wrong way to do this- You have a M shirt and you’d rather make 1 inch cuts, have at it! Lets begin, shall we?
1. Hack up your tee. Start by cutting the hem off the bottom so that it creates a loop, I used this hem piece as well. Continue up to the arm pits cutting your 1.5 inch rings. When I was finished I had 12 rings total-
2. Wrap the rings around your hand. The amount of times you want to wrap it around depends on how you want the scarf to look. The less times you wrap it, the longer and thinner your scarf will be. The more times, the shorter and chunkier. I wrapped mine 4 times.
3. Carefully lay out your wrapped up rings, keeping them in their donut shape.
((at this point I decided I wanted more rings, giving me a longer scarf in the end- feel free to skip number 4 if your satisfied with your total amount of rings))
4. Hack off a sleeve at the seam. Now cut more 1.5 inch rings! I got 4 mini rings out of one sleeve. I was able to wrap each ring 1x. Using 2 mini rings sandwiched together to create 1 substitute ring- creating 2 additional donuts! (hmm more food!?)
5. Cut 2 inch strips from the other sleeve, use these to tie (double knot) the donuts together making, alas a donut train! (Oh and heres where you figure out why I call this the bacon wrap!)
6. Snip off excess ties and you’ve just upcycled your old tee into your very own yummy Donut Train!

Comments

  1. Fun! I am going to make Miss I. one out of a pajama top that is too small for her! New project for me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey DeDa! This is really fun and easy to do w/ kids as well- Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Putting this on my "to do" list for tomorrow..maybe I can find a yellow/white shirt to go with the bacon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to make this also...so cool looking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great way to use old shirts and have fun with the kids, and make gifts for friend and family!! i'm going to try my grandaughters favorite flannel nightgown she cant wear anymore, maybe she'll bewilling to wear a scarf more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to see how they turn out- Feel free to post pictures on my facebook page (www.facebook.com/trashn2tees)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will be trying VERY soon. LOVE this idea, LOVE to make re-purposed crafts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts